Software Engineer - Video
At Hopin, we’re reimagining virtual events. As the first all-in-one virtual venue for live online events, Hopin brings people together in a highly interactive and engaging online experience that feels just like an in-person event, only without the barriers. Whether it’s a 50-person meetup, or a 50,000-person conference—any type of event organizer can host a Hopin event for their attendees, speakers, sponsors, and vendors to convene, learn, and interact face-to-face online. We’re spearheading the innovative technology that is enabling people to gather online like never before.
Our mission is simple: better connections for a better planet. We believe in events without limits, but events that are sustainable and accessible to everyone—and fun, too! To do this, we need passionate builders and storytellers to join us. Do you love people and technology and the magic that happens when they converge at scale? Do you have the skills and experience we’re looking for to better serve our clients? If so, we’d like to meet.
We’ve recently been funded by Accel, Northzone, Seedcamp, Web Summit’s Fund, Slack Fund and a number of high-profile angel investors participated, including Supercell founder Ilkka Paananen, UiPath founder Daniel Dines, Intercom founder Des Traynor, GoCardless COO Carlos Gonzalez-Cadenas and Miro founder Andrey Khusid.
Hopin is seeking a software engineer to help build the core of our in-house video technologies that power our live streaming application to hundreds of thousands of users. Hopin’s usage is growing at an enormous pace, and production traffic is increasing week over week.
This brings opportunity for our video team to drive innovation by attempting to solve big challenges in live streaming, such as latency, interaction, quality and scale.
The role is a hands-on role in the video team.
Your day to day
- Develop and maintain a reliable, fault-tolerant pipeline for delivering our live streams with DASH, CMAF, HLS.
- Be hands-on implicated with the encoding, delivery and storage for video.
- Be part of a video "pod" responsible for all things related to video on Hopin.
- At least 3 years of software engineering experience working on distributed systems at scale.
- Good experience with encoding software (ffmpeg or similar).
- Good experience with live streaming or video-on-demand delivery.
- Production experience with at least 2 of the protocols: DASH, CMAF, WebRTC, HLS, RTMP, LHLS.
- Ability to write testable, reliable code.
- Familiarity with performance monitoring using software or services (monitoring process metrics, CPU usage, memory, etc.)
- Production experience with Node, Docker.
Appreciated but not required
- Experience with headless browsers and virtual displays.
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience with Docker.
- Interested in working with CDN providers.
- Expertise around low latency container formats (CMAF, LHLS).
More about you
- You work well in a very fast paced startup environment.
- You probably have a computer science background, or something similar.
- You’re a concise, accurate communicator.
- You dig deep to find out the facts and you support them with data.
- You’re a great collaborator.
- You win support for your initiatives.
- You get others to effect changes by persuading whoever necessary.
A competitive starting salary for this role with opportunity for bonuses as we scale, as well as equity. We are currently a remote team and for this position we are looking for someone located in CET or US ET zones. If you’re based in London you can work with the Founder, Ops and the Tech Lead in the heart of Shoreditch.