Senior Back-End Engineer
At Hopin, we’re reimagining virtual events. As the first all-in-one virtual venue for live online events, Hopin brings people together in a highly interactive and engaging online experience that feels just like an in-person event, only without the barriers. Whether it’s a 50-person meet-up, or a 50,000-person conference—any type of event organiser can host a Hopin event for their attendees, speakers, sponsors, and vendors to convene, learn, and interact face-to-face online. We’re spearheading the innovative technology that is enabling people to gather online like never before.
Our mission is simple: better connections for a better planet. We believe in events without limits, but events that are sustainable and accessible to everyone—and fun, too! To do this, we need passionate builders and storytellers to join us. Do you love people and technology and the magic that happens when they converge at scale? Do you have the skills and experience we’re looking for to better serve our clients? If so, we’d like to meet you.
We’ve recently been funded by Accel, Northzone, Seedcamp, Web Summit’s Fund, Slack Fund and a number of high-profile angel investors. Including Supercell founder, Ilkka Paananen, UiPath founder, Daniel Dines, Intercom founder, Des Traynor, GoCardless COO, Carlos Gonzalez-Cadenas and Miro founder, Andrey Khusid.
With significant early traction, we're working towards building our in-house Product & Engineering team to be the heartbeat that drives the company forward - Our aim is to be Europe's fastest-growing startup in 2020.
We are looking for a full time, highly-skilled Senior Backend Engineer, who is comfortable with distributed and high performance systems– preferably with solid experience in Ruby on Rails.
You will be responsible for developing and designing a highly scalable system architecture, ensuring responsiveness of applications, working closely with the development team, running tests and debugging, among other duties.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual who is comfortable in a fast-paced, start-up environment, as well as collaborating with a remote development team.
- Architect, analyse, design, develop, troubleshoot, and debug software programs for end user applications
- Ensuring applications can handle high volumes of load
- Ensuring responsiveness of applications
- Delivering software build with reliability and tests from the get-go
- Meeting both technical and consumer needs
- Working with and potentially managing a small agile development team
- Delivering projects and KPIs on-time with high quality
- Design, development and implementation of projects and features
- Ensuring compliance with development methodology and technical process
- Specialised backend developer with exposure to all layers of application and development
- 5+ years backend engineering experience
- 2+ years of commercial experience with Ruby on Rails
- 1+ years of commercial with either Go or Elixir.
- Experience with a distributed system platform: Kafka preferred, other pubsub systems accepted.
- Experience with PostgreSQL and Redis
- Experience with test frameworks for both asynchronous jobs as well as well as APIs and websocket channels.
- Experience using websockets to deliver a real-time experience.
- Deployed customer-facing software into a product environment
- Solid experience working in an agile development environment
- Passion for clean and appropriately tested code
- Strong analytical and critical thinking
Nice to haves
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with DynamoDB, or other NoSQL database engines
- Experience with WebRTC, Live Streaming or other related video technologies
- Self-starter, able to deliver project on time meeting high quality standards
- Strong background in technology and application design
- Strong understanding of different software development practices, infrastructure, and how each can help shop more value to customers
- Good communication skills
A competitive starting salary, with the opportunity for bonuses as we scale. We are currently a remote team and are open to remote applications from all over the world!